Due to the current situation in regards to the COVID-19 outbreak, all WVPD and partner related events are suspended until further notice.
Check partner pages for information on their events.
Join the Winooski Valley Park District at these upcoming events!
- Bird Monitoring Walks: Join environmental educator and up-and-coming bird expert, Juli Tyson, for seasonal bird monitoring walks at WVPD Parks. All are welcome! No birding experience or expertise needed! Binoculars and field guides are available to borrow upon request. Please contact Juli to RSVP for each walk at email@example.com or call (978) 994-0482. Details and descriptions of each months walk below:
May 17, 2020 8:30am at Colchester Pond: Look for returning birds and observe their spring behavior. The trail around the pond is considered moderate with a few short, but steep uphill sections. Walk will be at a slow to moderate pace with frequent stops to look for and watch birds. Come prepared for the spring weather, and bring snacks, and water.
- Wintervale! Sunday February 23rd from 11 am–2pm at Intervale Community Farm at 282 Intervale Road, Burlington, VT
- Burlington Wildways Trail Opening – September 7, 2019 12:00pm
You’re Invited! For the opening of the first section of the Burlington Wildway – a new trail that connects the wild places of Burlington, Vermont.
Saturday, September 7th
12 noon: Press Conference and Opening Ceremony
1 pm: Hikes
Meet at the Ethan Allen Homestead , at the picnic shelter. Please join us for a ribbon-cutting and brief remarks formally opening the 5.5-mile Salmon Hole to Ethan Allen Park section of the Wildway. Refreshments will be served! Explore nature along the Wildway! All hikes are one-way with transport back to start. Join city naturalist Alicia Daniel for an easy hike north along the Wildway exploring “bedrock to birds” through Ethan Allen Park. Ever wondered how to cross from Ethan Allen Homestead to the Intervale Center on foot? Join us for a moderate hike on the Wildway exploring the connection. Catch a ride back to the Homestead from the Intervale Center or continue on to Salmon Hole and the southern end of the Wildway. Burlington Wildways is a partnership that connects and protects the wild places and paths of Burlington, Vermont. Learn more about the partnership and projects: https://burlingtonwildways.org
- Public Visioning Workshop and Open House with Town of Williston: The Town of Williston recently acquired a 29-acre parcel of open space in northwest Williston. Winooski Valley Park District (WVPD) and the Town are discussing the future of this parcel, and seek public input on the issues, opportunities and range of recreational uses for this parcel, as well the concept of potential ownership by WVPD. Please come to a public visioning workshop and open house to learn more and provide your input! Details as follows:
Public Visioning Workshop & Open House
Help create the vision for a new park in Williston!
WHERE: Williston Town Hall
WHEN: Thursday, April 25 6:30-8:30 PM – stop in anytime
- Monthly Bird Monitoring Walks with WVPD’s AmeriCorps Environmental Educator: Join the WVPD’s Environmental Educator Juli for bird monitoring walks each month! Walks are easy to moderate in activity level, depending on location/site of walks, as we will take our time to stop and observe the different species birds we encounter along the way. Binoculars and bird guides are available to borrow. Please email: firstname.lastname@example.org to RSVP or with have any questions. Upcoming dates & locations:
- Saturday April 13th, 8:30-10:30AM — Location: Woodside Natural Area, Essex
- Sunday June 2nd, 8:30-12:30PM — Location: Colchester Pond, Colchester
- Saturday June 29th, 8:30-10:30AM — Location: Delta Park, Colchester
- September 14, 8:30 AM at Delta Park, Colchester
- October 19, 8:30 AM at Delta Park, Colchester
- November 16, 8:30 AM at Macrae Farm Park, Colchester
- December 7, 8:30 AM at Ethan Allen Homestead, Burlington
- Green Up Day Saturday, May 4 9:00 am – 12:00 pm at Salmon Hole Park, Burlington. Help the WVPD clean up the trails at Salmon Hole and the surrounding neighborhood as part of our Annual Green Up Day event! WVPD will provide trash bags and gloves. Other clean up opportunities for groups and individuals are available at other WVPD parks – contact Tim Larned, Parks Superintendent, for more information.
- Conservation Field Day Wednesday, May 15 at the Ethan Allen Homestead, Burlington. Each year the WVPD invites 5th-grade classes from its member communities to partake in a fun-filled a day of hands-on environmental education activities. Students rotate through a series of workshops focused on conservation and stewardship. If you wish to learn more about this event, register your class or provide a workshop contact Lauren Chicote, Programs Director, for more information.
Partner Organization Events
- Ethan Allen Homestead Museum Third Sunday Lecture Series: Each months lecture will explore a different topic of local and American History. Speakers include local historians and authors. Third Sunday of the month at 2:00pm in the Ethan Allen Homestead Museum and Education Center. For more information call (802) 865 – 4556 or contact email@example.com. Be sure to check out the Museum’s calendar of events or follow them on Facebook for other exciting and informative events on Vermont History!