Environmental Camp Instructor: The WVPD seeks environmental educators to serve as full-time Environmental Camp Instructors for the Sustainable Outdoor Leadership Education – S.O.L.E. Camp for summer 2019. Instructors are responsible for leading a group of at least 12 (max 16) campers in all aspects of the camp day including, but not limited to, activity instruction, field trips, games, crafts, snack/lunch, safety, and behavior and group management.
Location: Ethan Allen Homestead, Burlington, VT 05408
Duration: Starting mid–June to the end of August. Seven full weeks and one half week; must be able to attend all eight camp sessions, plus up to one week of staff training prior to the start of camp (week of June 10). S.O.L.E. Camp takes a two week hiatus the weeks of July 15 and 22. Staff are expected to be available for a few days during this time for a mid-summer check-in, classroom cleaning, and activity planning.
- Session 1: June 17 – 21
- Session 2: June 24 – 28
- Session 3: July 1 – 3 (3 day week)
- Session 4: July 8 – 12
- Session 5: July 29 – August 2
- Session 6: August 5 – 9
- Session 7: August 12 – 16
- Session 8: August 19 – 23
Hours: 40 hours/week. Monday-Friday. Potential for overtime.
Desired Qualifications: *Preferred qualifications
- Experience working with children ages 7-12 years old;
- Experience working in a summer camp or similar setting, education experience preferred;
- Must enjoy outdoor recreation and have a desire to share that with youth;
- Passion for natural sciences, conservation and environmental stewardship;
- Ability to work in an outdoor setting in any weather condition while keeping a positive attitude;
- General knowledge of New England/Vermont natural history and resources (or willingness to learn);
- Two years of college coursework relating to an environmental or educational field; or equivalent work experience;
- Access to a reliable vehicle or adequate transportation;
- Ability to use creative strategies for conflict resolution and problem solving;
- Confident leading a group, teaching, and initiating activities;
- Willingness to work as a team and foster a sense of community;
- Strong work ethic and desire to learn;
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills;
- First Aid and CPR Certification*.
To apply please send resume and cover letter to Remy Crettol, Project & Program Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org. This position is open until filled.